Saturday, August 9, 2008

Second Fortune Cookie Of The Summer (Also In Connecticut With My Aunt K, Like The First)

"Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the middle of the desert."

Not quite as fitting as the first fortune cookie of the summer, or is it?

What exactly does it mean? One of the first things I said to my aunt was, "Is California my desert? I hope not!"

To me it is saying that any creature out of its element will not thrive. I need to learn to create a healthy environment for myself so that I will thrive. That means that when I go back to California I cannot resume working full-time and going to school full-time, leaving no time for anything else except a little exercise. In order to continue to be happy I need to set up my life in such a way that there is some balance, that I have a social life and don't live in a social desert, isolated and lonely.

My aunt, to whom I just read this post says, "I think that was actually very apropos if you think about it!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way. Only the strong survive the desert. Maybe California is where you will be strongest and thrive.