Tuesday, August 26, 2008

This Just In-- Crows Remember Individual Faces


When I was in Seattle a little over a week ago, I couldn't help remember and think often of the University of Washington, which is home to one of the more famous corvid researchers in the world, John Marzluff. I think anyone who is interested in corvids is familiar with his name. I've read his work, but have never met him.

I was struck by the large number of crows in Seattle, a bit like the huge number of ravens in Marin though I don't know if there is any quantitative proof that the numbers are denser in Seattle than other cities. I took a lot of pictures of crows, including the one above at the farmer's market eating peanuts. J humored me as she is not a crow fan (she's close to perfect, but she does have that one crippling shortcoming-- just kidding J!)

But maybe my constant attention to the crows around us made an impression on her after all because today she sent me these articles: "Friend Or Foe, Crows Never Forget A Face," and "UW Professor Learns Crows Don't Forget A Face." Pretty cool stuff. I suspected robins recognized Eagle Eyes and I this summer, but whether they would remember us months later I don't have an inkling. I bet all kinds of birds recognize human faces to varying degrees, though I wouldn't be surprised if crows are better at it than other species.

Thanks J for the heads up on this research :)

2 comments:

eb said...

I just heard a segment on NPR this morning about bird songs. They played the song of the hermit thrush and noted that some consider it the best singer of all birds. Maybe this will rub off : )

Hermit Thrush said...

The hermit thrush's song is difficult to describe, I would say it is otherworldly, some say ethereal. Until you've heard it, you are missing one of the best experiences of your life, in my humble opinion. If I could sing like that I would be famous!