Sunday, August 10, 2008

Full Circle Rainbow From Airplane


On the plane ride from Tampa Bay to Hartford I saw this spectacular rainbow. I'd never seen a full circle rainbow before, but I'd heard that viewed from above rainbows were really circles and not just arcs and I'd always hoped to see a full circle rainbow while flying. My seatmate was somewhat taken aback by my wonderment-- I pointed it out to him, and then the flight attendant, meanwhile snapping a ton of pictures.

It might have seemed like an insignificant thing to the man sitting next to me, but I was filled with happiness. So many things give me pleasure lately, it seems like there are big and small marvels wherever I look. It's like I've opened myself up to the sensation of joy.

Of course, I also scanned the runway in Tampa like mad on landing and take off for burrowing owls, but didn't see any (there is a population of burrowing owls in southern Florida, and I had been hoping to see them). However, my disappointment was quickly replaced by ebullience upon seeing the rainbow.

To read more about rainbows and see some nice photos (including one very similar to mine) check out this basic explanation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool