Monday, August 4, 2008

Haircut

Not only did I surprise EB&D by cooking, I downright shocked them by going to get a haircut.

After I dropped off my farmer's market perishables at their house Saturday morning I nonchalantly informed them that I was going to head out to Durham for a hair appointment. They almost fell over. D asked, stunned, "Since when do you get your hair cut professionally?"

The answer is, well, since never. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had my hair cut in a salon:

  • When I graduated college and it was too knotted for me to get a comb through (I tipped the hairdresser an amount equal to the cost of the haircut because I felt so bad for her)
  • EB&D's wedding (quite an ordeal, I almost wasn't ready in time for the wedding as my hair stylist underestimated the difficulty in tackling the rat's nest that was my hair)
  • My sister's wedding
There may have been one or two other times I am forgetting in the past ten years, but basically I relied on lovers or co-workers (on slow days in the emergency clinic) to cut my hair. The faster the better too, in my opinion, as I don't like sitting still.

So what inspired this departure from the traditional HT routine of just letting my hair go wild until I could find someone to quickly snip off the ends? I think it has to do with all the changes I've been through this summer. Gaining some confidence has made me want to put a little effort into my appearance. (And yes, you, Eagle Eyes, all your efforts at making me a bit more girlie were not a complete waste.) Also, the hairdresser who did my hair for my sister's wedding did such a good job that I trusted him to do it again, and even told him that he had free artistic license because his last haircut turned out so well. I'm glad I did it, having my hair a bit shorter is easier and having it layered just looks a bit more sophisticated and adult. I'm happy to report I'm very pleased with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And where are the pictures?