Sunday, August 24, 2008

Gilroy Ranch: A Saturday Night Spent In The Garden Of Eden


Saturday evening I got an invitation from Dr. Perceptive to hang out with her at a friend's ranch in Gilroy, where she was watching 15 horses, 3 cows, 5 dogs, 3 cats and 3 chickens. I jumped at the chance to get out of San Jose for the night and spend some time in the country. It turned out to be nothing less than paradise. It even had that pungent garlickey odor that is so characteristic of Gilroy and that I love.

I've known Dr. Perceptive since I started at the emergency clinic; she, Dr. Cool Fool and I all started together two summers ago. In a strange twist of events, she rented my room at Dr. Cool Fool's when I left over the summer and vacated it just days before I got back.

Here is her extremely well trained saddlebred horse, Jasmine:


And here is her equally impressively trained hot dog, Jaden:


And Jaden's friend, the good-looking border collie exhibiting the breed's typical intensity:


And the most intimidating pack member, the big red Rhodesian:


Dr. Perceptive helped deliver this calf:


Then there was the garden, which photos can't really do justice:


All kinds of leafy greens and different varieties of tomatoes, apples, peaches, artichokes, squash, bell peppers, hot peppers, carrots, corn, grapes, sunflowers, and so much more. Ever seen an artichoke flower?




Not only was there plenty of delicious fresh food from the garden, we also made a late night trip to San Juan Bautista for cheese enchiladas and chile relleno, plus a walk around the mission square. I felt like I was transported back in time, and I felt my spirits soar with a break from my more mundane life in San Jose.

1 comment:

eb said...

Wow, this makes me want to go live in California . . .