Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Taking The Train: For Ember & The Planet




I took the train again yesterday to Menlo Park. It is quite a relaxing ride and it went without any hitches this time. I have always liked the Menlo Park train station building (above), it is quaint, as if it were out of another day and age. I feel happy getting off the train there.

I've also been taking the light rail around San Jose. I am quite enjoying taking more public transportation. I've never liked driving all that much. Plus being on foot I discover so much more-- yesterday I bought a dress for $2.50 in the thrift store on the street over from where I live (half price on a dress already reduced in price, sometimes I impress myself). Although I'd driven past that thrift store for over five years, I'd never set foot in it until last week. Being in a car is just so removed from the feel of a neighborhood, from the stores, the people, the pulse of a place. I like being in the thick of it, and public transit is good for that.

So I'm committed now-- I bought a ten ride ticket that expires in October so I have to make another nine trips in the next two months on Caltrain. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: