Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Intrepid J


This is my oldest friend, J. I discovered today that she is half mountain goat, half camel. She has sure footing on narrow, sandy trails where I was slipping and scared half to death of falling several hundred feet down the steep mountainside. She also did not get dehydrated, while I managed to nearly faint on our ascent to Mt. Fremont lookout. I definitely felt like a big wus! Luckily my fearless companion was patient with me, and even held my hand when I got really scared. Unfortunately for her, I asked to turn back before we reached our destination on either the Huckleberry trail or the Mt. Fremont trail. Sigh.

(If you look closely-- click on the picture to see it enlarged-- you can see the reflection of the photograher, i.e. me, in J's sunglasses. Putting the artist in the picture via the glasses is a neat trick I learned from that spectacular retrospective of Barkley Hendricks' work that I saw at the Duke art museum this summer).

No comments: