Monday, August 4, 2008

Durham Farmer's Market Salad


Saturday I left DC at 5 am in the morning so that I would arrive in NC with plenty of time to make it to the Durham farmer's market before it closed at noon.

I made EB & D all kinds of dishes over the weekend from the goods I picked up at the farmer's market. The salad above contains arugula, baby spinach (the only non-farmer's market ingredient but my mom was trashing it so I rescued it from the dump), the best yellow tomato I have ever had (perhaps the best tomato ever), a red tomato, and a purple pepper (which turned out to be spicy as well as aesthetically pleasing).

I also cooked them my favorite dish, sauteed rainbow Swiss chard, as well as sauteed eggplants and microwaved corn on the cob.

I think they were pleased that I had finally acquired some basic cooking skills, as when I lived with EB in college I probably would have starved had it not been for her generosity in sharing her own cooking with me (which largely consisted of dishes prepared with a giant bag of rice that sustained us throughout most of our junior and senior years). Thank you EB, glad I could in some small way return the favor all these years later!

No comments: