Friday, May 23, 2008

The Word Of The Day Is Surreptitious

I think I'm finally getting the hang of nest searching. My advisor told me that it is a game of cat and mouse. Even though humans aren't the usual predators for birds, they know when you are watching them, so you have to walk a fine line between keeping the bird in your view and not getting close enough to seriously spook them. I'm finding that just like with restraint in the veterinary clinic, less is more though it isn't immediately apparent that it would work that way. This morning for the first time I found myself really getting into it. I'd see a robin foraging and back off to the point where the robin wasn't concerned about me, then watch until the robin flew off. I knew when a she went into a tree and didn't come back out for several minutes that I was onto something, and I'd hone in to nab the location of the nest. Nest searching is definitely growing on me. It is fun.

No comments: