Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Capella: Sweet Honey In The Rock

Last night I went to a performance by Sweet Honey In The Rock at the Kennedy center on the Millenium stage. The Kennedy center has this program where they put on a free performance at 6 pm on the Millenium stage every night of the year. The next 10 days are all a cappella, which is one of my favorite genres thanks to the rockin' musicians I was exposed to in college (that means you, Molecule, if you are reading this).

Sweet Honey In The Rock gave a good show. Their voices are so rich and loud that it just amazes me. The harmonies are over my head. A lot of their songs and message was focused on children-- equal rights and opportunities for children all over the world. It's not something I think about a lot, or one of my main focuses so it was good for me to think about but at the same time I wish they had done some more political songs on themes of racism and civil liberties.

Overall I'm glad I went, but the commute was crazy. Over an hour and a half on the metro and walking for forty-five minutes of music!

No comments: