Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The New House


On my first blog post, I put up pictures of the decorations I put on the doorstep of the old house-- a robin's nest and egg. This is the doorstep to the new house. It has findings from field crews past-- a skull (fox?) and a turtle shell, as well as my more recent additions, a cowbird egg and two robin's eggs from a depredated nest.

The new house is nicer than the old house by most people's standards. It has furniture and a cozy, lived-in feel. But I still really miss the old place. I've been mulling it over trying to figure out why. I miss the feel of the neighborhood. Some people on the project find that neighborhood scary. But it felt friendly to me after a day or two. I think after being a veterinary nurse/technician for so many years I identify as working class. The old neighborhood was definitely working class, and felt less pretentious and ostentatious to me than the new one.

It's funny, when I was back in NC this past weekend I was struck by how wealthy the neighborhood I grew up in looks to me now. Every time I go back to visit I think the place looks more and more wealthy. I don't think the houses have changed, but my standard of living has gotten progressively lower over the past years. I don't mind, I like living more simply.

The other thing I miss about the old house is its proximity to restaurants. It was only two blocks from the nearest Ethiopian restaurant and corner markets, and not too far from some really good Mexican too.

(Addendum: How could I forget-- the old house is near fantastic trails in Rock Creek park and the new house is near the Sligo creek trail. Actually, Sligo creek isn't bad but I do miss trail running).

I guess I'll just have to make the hike over there more often, it's really not that far. In the meantime, I feel oddly out of place in this fancy neighborhood and house. I'll keep decorating, though, with odds and ends from the field.

No comments: