Sunday, May 25, 2008

Takoma Farmer's Market

Every Sunday that I'm in town I go to the Takoma farmer's market, which opens at ten o'clock sharp. It's a bit pricier than the supermarket, but I feel strongly about supporting local farmers, reducing the amount of fossil fuels used to get food on my table and buying certified organic. Back in California I looked into getting a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm subscription but there was too much food for one person.

I usually get tomatoes, enough apples to have one every day I'm in the field, mixed greens and some treats-- chard, cucumbers, oats and honey bread or jellies. I know from my nutrition class this winter that jams, jellies and sweets should be consumed in moderation. But I have had a sunflower seed butter and jam sandwich for lunch every weekday since I arrived, so I buy specialty farmer's markets jams in order to mix it up. (PB&J seems to be the standard fare in the field for many of us).

Here are the jams I've sampled so far:
  • Wild Dandelion Blossom jelly from Patterson Farms in Sabinsville, PA. Yum. I hear that in that area of Pennsylvania you can buy wild dandelion wine later in the summer, I'm hoping to somehow procure some. The guy who sells this also makes a wild violet jelly that is light purple/pink that I want to try.
  • Gooseberry jam from Audia's Farm in Woodbine, MD. It was excellent.
  • Hot Pepper jam from Audia's Farm. It was hot and I liked it a lot.
This morning I caved and bought Peach Jalapeño jam from D&S Farm in Charlotte Hall, MD. I can't wait to try it. I also still have a thimble sized jar of Persimmon jam from Audia's farms that I haven't opened. On my list to try later in the summer are Mint Pear jelly, Habañero jam and Rhubarb jam.

No comments: