Friday, May 23, 2008

Tree Climbing Maniac

Here's how the story goes. There was this nest in a cherry tree that I thought was too high to reach. Eagle Eyes convinced me to give it a try. So I did. Here I am placing the nestling/borderline fledgeling robins back in their nest after weighing and banding them. Yes it was precarious (note the almost vertical position of the ladder, hence one hand holding onto a branch to prevent me from tipping over backwards).


(second photo deleted)

I have always liked climbing trees. Though to have that be part of your job at 30 is a bit unusual I'll admit. Last time I went out dancing the first question I got from my partner was, "How come your arms are all scratched up?" Um, remember the part I told you about how I climb trees to get to nests, yeah that's why.

But the real climbing award of the day goes to my advisor. He basically swung from one branch to another then perched in the canopy of a tree to examine a nest at our Baltimore site. Perhaps from now on I will refer to him as Tarzan.

No comments: