Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Why Nest Searching Is Getting Harder-- Nests Are Not Only Higher But Better Hidden

Spring means more leaves. And that makes nest searching much harder. Even when I know from my notes where a nest is located, it doesn't always mean I can find it easily. Lately I find myself returning to check nests and becoming completely bewildered because everything looks so completely different now that the trees have filled out. The nest shown below always stumps me for a few minutes, even though I have visited it many times. The reason that it takes me awhile to find it is that it is not at all apparent as you approach the tree. Case in point:


If you focus in with your binoculars or camera this is what you see:


But I often find it too difficult from that point of view, so instead I stand underneath the tree in roughly the right vicinity, looking up until I spot the give-away clump of twigs:


The worst part about the whole thing in this particular case is that the female abandoned the nest this week. She had been sitting on three eggs for over three weeks, so they weren't fertile. A lot of wasted time for her, and us! Now I have to attempt to find her new nest when she re-nests in this area. It should be relatively simple if I can find her carrying twigs, mud or grass to the new site. But if I miss the brief nest building stage, which can be as short as 2-3 days for a second nest, it will sure be difficult to find just by inspecting the area.

No comments: