Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Strangest Nest Of The Day

Yesterday we did some nest searching and checking in a ritzy neighborhood. Here's one of the houses.


My advisor says three years ago none of the houses were this gargantuan and all kind of woodland has been torn down to make space for these types of houses. He said that in many of these places there used to be pileated woodpeckers and wood thrushes flying around, now replaced by McMansions. I try not to be judgmental, but it seems sad to me. Personally, I wouldn't live in a house that big if you paid the taxes and mortgage for me. Too big. Too much cleaning. (So much for trying to be witty, those of you who know me in real life know how much I detest cleaning).

It makes me think, though, that anyone doing research on the impacts of urbanization has research that is not going to go out of vogue. It seems urban sprawl is not going to stop anytime soon.

At any rate, at this particular house I had observed a robin nest building in the doorway the previous week. I had thought it a silly place to build a nest, but when I came back we found the nest complete with three eggs in it (!), and a guy painting the trim all around it! Pretty crazy. I think the guy thought I was taking a picture of him.


I'm very curious to see what we find when we come back next time. Will there be nestlings?

No comments: