Friday, May 30, 2008

Disbelief And Astonishment: What Do You Mean There Is A Nest On My Property?

It's always interesting to me to see people's reactions when we knock on their door and ask for their permission to access a nest on their property. The vast majority of people are stunned that there is a nest on their land, and can't quite fathom how we figured out there was a nest there in the first place. They often ask, "How do you know there is a nest?" And, at a loss for words to answer what to me is so obvious, I will pause and then say, "From the birds' behavior."
I find it continually surprising that people do not see the nests right around them. For me, bird behavior has been an integral part of my life. They are often the first things I notice in my surroundings. Now that I'm working hard to learn the calls of the species in this area, the presence of wild birds is even more palpable to me. I can be walking down the street having a conversation with someone and hear a robin alarm call from just a few feet away and for that moment I am completely distracted by the robin's drama, and forget what my human companion might be saying.

I've come to realize that most people do not process the world in this way. For them, birds are background noise. It seems sad to me how much they are missing, the intrinsic beauty and day to day lives of so many creatures that co-exist with them right under their nose. I'm grateful that I am unconsciously attuned to bird behavior, and for my understanding of their language. I attribute my intuitive ability to read what is going on around me with wild animals to the years I spent watching birds in my youth, for no purpose other than pleasure and a strong sense of connection with wildlife. It is a love that has stayed strong throughout my life, and offered me joy in even the saddest times. I hope when I point out a nest to someone that I can share some of that sense of wonderment and maybe make them consider the rich, not so secret, lives of animals all around them.

No comments: