Tuesday, May 20, 2008

3 Weeks No Car

This weekend while in NC I acquired a car (thanks M&M). The first three weeks in DC I went without. I am ambivalent about having a car. It will make my life safer, as I can park at the metro and drive home late at night instead of walking home at midnight or 1 am. I won't be dependent on others for grocery shopping. I will be able to join a pool and start swimming.

But I'm afraid I will stop walking as much. I really liked going everywhere on foot the past three weeks. I find with a car available, and the constant feeling that I'm pressed for time, I usually revert to driving more. I'm going to fight this, for my health, peace of mind and the environment.

On the car ride, while my colleague B was driving, I read National Geographic's latest issue on climate change. Boy did that make me feel guilty about getting a car in a city (it would have been greener to buy a bike instead), and strengthened my resolve to use it as little as possible. It's one of the best things about city life-- having a car is optional. I wish that were always the case.

No comments: