Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Northern Parula


On the same day I caught the pileated woodpecker at Jug Bay, we also caught a Northern Parula. I have to admit I didn't know what it was, and guessed yellow throat, another kind of warbler that lives in swampy areas (we actually caught two around the corner from our house the first month here but I missed photographing them and have been hoping for more ever since). Northern Parulas are remarkable for being small even for a warbler, and for having a distinctive call that my advisor describes aptly as sounding like a sneeze. In the winter they migrate south to Florida and some go as far as the tropics. This female was beautiful and incredibly docile. I think the photo shoot was a bit much for her as it took her a little to fly off afterwards and I felt bad for being selfish and taking so many photos :(

No comments: