Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ani Difranco At The National In Richmond

Last night, on my drive to NC, I stopped in Richmond for two hours to see my first Ani show. I've been a fan of her music for a long, long time. I was so tired that I almost skipped the show, but I'm really glad I didn't. Her lyrics are so inspiring, poetic and feminist, and I'd heard she was very good in concert, a great guitarist. I didn't expect her to be so little, so cute or look so young. I would have never guessed she was eight years older than me. She looked 22. She played some of my favorite songs, opening with Shy and going on to play, among others, Not A Pretty Girl, Fire Door, Gravel, Little Plastic Castle and 32 Flavors. I was thrilled she played Gravel, because that is the one song I most wanted to hear. Judging by the crowd's response-- practically everyone sang along, I'd say I'm not the only one for whom that is a favorite.

Ani seemed so happy to be performing. She smiled the entire time. She didn't tell a lot of stories, but spoke briefly about having a baby (and even played a song she wrote in labor, wow). My advisor, who was also at the show, commented that she had that baby glow. I'd agree. I know a lot of her fans have been very disappointed in her for marrying (since divorced) and having a more outwardly conventional life. I don't think there is anything conventional about Ani. I don't see why feminists can't marry and have kids. She's still just as, if not more, incredible. I really hate that having a membership in a club, to use her words, restricts how you can live your life if you want to stay a part of that club. I totally support her having more than one membership in more than one club. I wish everyone had the guts to do what felt right for them at the moment, to change and to not worry about having their identity or their politics questioned.

On a different note, The National really is a beautiful venue. I was only about fifteen feet from the stage. I showed up half an hour late and missed the opening act entirely, but it still wasn't crowded. It's so nice to go to a show someplace with a historic feel and for it not to be totally packed. I'd say it's my favorite place to go for concerts so far, too bad it is so far from DC, and even farther from California.

For those of you not familiar with Ani, here's a summary of the lyrics from my favorite songs.

i've got a dream with your face in it
that scares me awake
i've put too much on my table
now i've got too much at stake

saying, "let's not ask what next
or how or why
i'm leaving in the morning
so let's not be shy"
don't be shy

i am not a pretty girl
that is not what i do
i ain't no damsel in distress
and i don't need to be rescued
so put me down punk
maybe you'd prefer a maiden fair
isn't there a kitten stuck up a tree somewhere

i am not an angry girl
but it seems like i've got everyone fooled
every time i say something they find hard to hear
they chalk it up to my anger
and never their own fear

don't you think every kitten figures out how to get down
whether or not you ever show up

i'm singing now because my tear ducts are too tired
and my brain is disconnected but my heart is wired

tightened my belt around my hips
where your hands were missing

oh let me count the way that i abhor you
you were never a good lay
and you were never a good friend
but oh, what can i say, i adore you

and maybe you can keep me from ever being happy
but you're not going to stop me from having fun

people talk about my image
like i come in two dimensions
like lipstick is a sign of my declining mind
like what i happen to be wearing the day
that someone takes a picture
is my new statement for all womankind

squint your eyes and look closer
i'm not between you and your ambition
i am poster girl with no poster
i am thirty-two flavors and then some
and i'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you're going to get hungry
and eat most of the words you just said

i'm not trying to give my life meaning
by demeaning you
and i would like to state for the record
i did everything i could do
i'm not saying that i'm a saint
i just don't want to live that way

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a very good show

aunt k said...

love the picture-glad u got it-u need to treat yourself-you're worth it!!