Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Final Ratings On Ethiopian Restaurants In DC And Other Good Food

So once I had this lofty goal of sampling food from every Ethiopian restaurant in DC. Ha ha. There are way too many to do that in just a few months. But I have hit the ones that are highly rated or in my neighborhoods and here is the scoop:

Top Three:
Meskerem (Adams Morgan)-- more expensive due to touristy location, good service and food
Nile (my old neighborhood, Georgia and Eastern)-- the staff does not speak English but it attracts the locals and has the best subtly spiced mashed chickpeas of any place I tried
Dukem (U St)-- best atmosphere with music and dancing though I felt a bit like a tourist watching from the sidelines

The Rest:
Madjet (U St)-- NY insisted this one was the best but it is poorly lit, small and the food is not remarkable
Addis Ababa (Fenton near my current location)-- food was bland but great outdoor seating
Etete (U St)-- highly rated by others, the food and service were disappointing and the modern decor did not impress me as much as the authentic neighborhood hangout feel at Nile, however, the Yetibs Fitfit with injera mashed in with it was deliciously spicy.

If I had more time in DC, I'd spend it exploring the other restaurants on U St, which are highly rated and interesting-- Oohs and Aahs (soul food) and Chix ("eco-friendly take out), to mention two.

No comments: