Monday, July 21, 2008

Blauwe Reiger: A Blue Heron Weekend Turned Into Social Butterfly Goes Out With A Bang (Warning: Discombobulated Post)


That's Great Falls in Maryland. Saturday morning Eagle Eyes and I went for a hike there on the recommendation of my Aunt L and Uncle G. It was incredibly beautiful. And hot. I made the interesting (well, to be honest, just plain stupid) decision to carry my camera instead of water (there's only so much one can fit in a backpack). I was sweating so much on the unshaded C&O towpath that I opted to take a side trail into the woods to get out of the sun. Before we knew it, Eagle Eyes and I were scrambling over the big boulders on Billy Goat trail A, once again in full sun. I guess I might've looked at a map before we set out hiking but it turned out well in the end. It was fun, and I didn't get too dehydrated to enjoy it-- no lethargy or dizziness, the early signs that I know so well after being outside all summer.

Friday night Eagle Eyes and I had made a trip to a little farther south, to Virginia, to visit my Aunt L and Uncle G at their house on Janelia Farms. Janelia Farms only became a science institute recently and has lots of forested land surrounding it, so there is also a lot of wildlife, from deer to Eastern bluebirds to bobcats (and lest I forget, much mentioned pileateds though I did not see them). The event was a barbecue, with delicious tuna steak and tomatoes among other things. For dessert there was specially ordered ice cream from Ohio, which featured flavors such as goat cheese and blackberry. My aunt definitely knows how to entertain.

Back to Saturday. I saw not one, not two but three blue herons at Great Falls, which are one of my favorite birds as they are the bird that got me hooked on birding when I lived in the Netherlands (blauwe reiger is Dutch for blue heron-- yes, the Dutch I have retained best is the bird names, it's just the way my head works):





Saturday night I went back to northern Virginia to go to a bar with South Carolina, a woman I met for dinner once back at the beginning of the summer (On our way to the bar we drove pass the road marked Janelia Farms, what a weird sense of deja vu as I had been there less than twenty four hours prior). I definitely regret that I didn't see more of her this summer as I had a really good time. We went to what was supposed to be an Irish bar, but the music was all covers of mostly American hits. I didn't mind as the atmosphere was relaxed and I got to dance without anyone laughing at me. I stayed out pretty late, getting on the metro near Vienna just after one am and arriving back in Takoma park at two fifteen am. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt really safe-- there were lots of people on the metro even at that late hour on the weekend, unlike some of my more sketchy late night experiences I've had at earlier hours on weeknights. What a city girl I've become, when I arrived I would've been terrified of being out that late on my own, now I barely think twice about it.

Sunday I went out to my last Takoma Park farmer's market, which was very sad for me. I got lots of jams to bring back to California with me, some rainbow Swiss chard and heirloom and brandywine tomatoes.




Then I went out to lunch with Eagles at Udupi Palace, an excellent vegetarian South Indian restaurant around the corner from us that I have been wanting to try all summer. They had the best carrot and turnip masala that I have ever had. It was so subtly spicy and flavorful.

I don't usually eat out twice in one day, but I had dinner plans to go to out with a woman I met last week at Pirate's Cove Marina on the Chesapeake bay. I couldn't pass up a chance to have crab cakes once more before I left, or eat someplace with such a cool name. And though it was not easy to find, the drive once I got off the highway was very scenic with white spired churches and corn fields. My companion for the evening, who I will refer to as The Ethical Sailor, was interesting to talk to and kind. It's always fascinating for me to hear about someone else's life journey and experiences. I saw eye to eye with her on a lot of stuff such as not owning a house or many possessions, the importance of friendships, honesty and integrity. It was a lovely evening and on the drive back I rolled down the window and drank in the sounds of the cicacadas buzzing, the sight of the few fireflies, the feel of the humid summer night air and the long dry lightning show before the brief downpour. I felt at peace, and in some part of my bones a summer night in the South still feels like home.

This is Pirate's Cove, although I don't really think this photo does it justice as it is much prettier:


It's the end of my last weekend in DC. It was another packed weekend and I am satisfied I made the most of it. My belly is full of crab cakes, my heart is happy with briefly crossing paths with South Carolina and The Ethical Sailor, and in this moment I am happy and totally content. I hope I can hold onto this feeling or re-create it when I get back to CA because this winter I rarely had this much fun or felt so peaceful.

No comments: