Thursday, June 26, 2008

Swimming In DC Oh Yeah!

Eagle Eyes located a pool near our neighborhood. I feel like an addict who hasn't had a hit in a long time and anticipates the pure physical pleasure with just the first hint of chlorine. I've always loved swimming. When I was a kid my nickname was "**** Duck" because I spent so much time in the water. I'm not a fast swimmer, but I've got enough endurance to swim for hours.

I love the quiet underwater that allows me to hear my own thoughts and zone out. Today I sang in my head "Piece of My Heart." As I pulled I thought, "Come on, come on, come on," then on the turns, "take another little piece of my heart." Thinking of the show last night still makes my heart sing.

I love the kick turns. Feeling the power of my body as I shoot off the wall. Feeling my heels hit the wall. Feeling my abdomen tighten as I tuck and curl into a ball.

It has been way too long since I swam. Running is a huge high too, but there is a peacefulness and stillness to swimming that running cannot match.

One interesting thing is that Eagle Eyes and I were the only white folks at the very crowded pool. Again, as when I first arrived in DC, I was aware of a certain divide among neighborhoods, as we were in an all black neighborhood. I was mildly aware of sticking out a little but I kind of enjoy it. It's boring to always fit in. And I don't usually think twice about the color of my skin so I think it is good for me to sometimes be forced to do that. Eagle Eyes says the pool isn't in the greatest the neighborhood, but man, it was a sweet pool-- clean, Olympic size, lifeguards. I will definitely be going again!

No comments: