Monday, June 9, 2008

"Boo!" Said The Bogeyman In The Bushes

This morning I was setting up mist nets in the dark at our site in Baltimore when a man who had snuck up behind me made me jump by yelling out "BOO!" I did not think it was funny. I was mad that someone would want to scare me like that. I asked the guy to back off and leave me alone. He didn't though and at that point I got frightened-- he was a big guy and he was clearly enjoying frightening me. I ended up calling my advisor for back-up. Not a good start to the day.

It was a hot, hot day, which didn't improve things. We closed our nets at 8 am. Just when most people are getting to work we are packing up, though we had odds and ends that kept us busy until 4 pm!

Thank goodness it has cooled off in the evening. I got in a bit of a run and feel better. Tomorrow back to Baltimore. Maybe it will be a better day. Just in case it isn't I'll be bringing my pepper spray. I stopped carrying it awhile ago, silly me, I would have felt better with it on me today.

No comments: