Thursday, June 26, 2008

From The Annals Of Strange Nests

1. This week I found a robin that nested right on top of her old failed nest. Literally. I've only seen this once before, at Baltimore, and neither nest was successful. It's certainly an unusual strategy. The double nest at our Foggy Bottom site has two eggs in it so far, and I'm curious to see what its fate will be.

I don't know why the first nest fell apart. Perhaps it was poorly constructed in the first place. Perhaps the blue jay pair around the corner (the one that I posted pictures of their young on fledgeling day) tore the nest to pieces as they didn't seem to appreciate the robins nesting in their territory.

In this photo I've circled and labeled the nests:

2. At our Chevy Chase site one of the residents pointed out a nest in their hanging potted fern:


The residents took the hanging pot off its hook every day in order to water the plant. A moving nest, but the parents didn't seem to mind!

No comments: