Friday, June 6, 2008

More On Running And Feminism: Running Topless

Today Eagle Eyes and I had an interesting discussion about running and feminism sparked by a topless guy running in the road in Rock Creek Park as we were driving home. She said that it annoys her when guys run topless because women can't and it is grossly unfair. I agree completely with her. There is a real double standard. I don't always abide by convention. In fact, just last night I took off my tank top and ran in my jogbra and running shorts in Rock Creek Park. But I knew that it might upset people or cause catcalls so I only did it for the last part of my run, and for that I crossed over into a deeply wooded area, across the creek from the road. I didn't think I'd run into anyone in the woods at dusk, and I didn't. However, I shouldn't have to run on a more isolated trail to enjoy running topless. And it is a treat, because after running for over an hour, I was overheating and the wind on my bare skin was cooling enough to give me the motivation to keep going.


No comments: