Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Purple Bird Poop


We get pooped on a lot on this project. One of my co-workers once said, "I'm fine with poop, as long as it is not in my mouth." Frankly, it doesn't bother me either (and I hope it doesn't bother you, my readers-- I guess you can't be too squeamish a bunch with my photos of dissected dead robins, embryos and poop). As a veterinary nurse, I not only got poop all over me regularly, but also got peed on, bled on, vomited on etc.

But I digress. Normal bird poop looks more or less like what you see above. But now that the mulberry trees are fruiting, the robins are pooping purple poop. I kid you not. So everything is purple. The bags we put them in between when we take them out of the net and process them, our clothes when they poop on us, the bird's feathers, my fingers. I knew my field clothes would get ruined this summer, but never had any idea I would be covered in purple poop!

2 comments:

Bird Removal NJ said...

Purple bird poop huh? Really interesting. If you're sick of purple specks all over your front lawn, look into bird removal in New Jersey.

Mutzi said...

We have a weeping mulberry but no berries on it. However, today purple poop was on our patio and white siding (yikes). We have had robins here for over 20 summers and never had the purple poop. Yesterday I worked in the flower beds and had a 50 cent size purple stain on the back leg of my shorts. It was difficult to remove and I’m not sure I got it all At least now I know. What it was!