Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dinner At Meskerem and More Purple Poop

Last night I got treated to dinner at Meskerem, an Ethiopian restaurant in Adams Morgan by a family friend who works for the EPA. (Eagle Eyes said, “Way to change it up!” OK, OK, but what about my goal to eat in as many different Ethiopian restaurants as possible this summer in DC?). It was a lovely dinner; it is always refreshing to dine with someone who is truly a good listener, shares a similar outlook on life and validates many of your own perceptions about the world (Thanks Mom, for continually reminding me to get in touch with this person).

As I suspected, my friend confirmed that there is a much larger world out there beyond academics as far as ecology goes. That was good to hear.

Meskerem served a very flavorful vegetarian combo, including a lentil and potato dish I had never had before. They also had the best honey wine I have had yet in DC. And the service was exceptional. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go there while I was in town, I'd recommend it highly, although the atmosphere was pretty touristy just because of its location. I think so far I like the atmosphere at Nile best because it really feels like a neighborhood gathering spot and the clientele was almost entirely Ethiopian. I liked the atmosphere at Addis Ababa second best because it was just so pleasant to sit outside on a nice night and overlook the street. But the food and service at Meskerem are first rate.

There was a huge storm last night and ever since internet has been out at our place. It might be awhile until I start posting regularly again. There isn't much new. Eagle Eyes got covered in purple poop not once today, but three times. I couldn't help but laugh when a bird I was putting back in a nest twelve feet above her pooped on her head and it ran down her shoulder and arm. She says it felt warm and nasty and that she heard me laughing even before it hit her. In this job, you can either climb ladders or get covered in purple poop. Take your pick, or switch like we do.

(In one of the funniest incidents in our fieldwork yet, today Eagle Eyes also had a worm flung on her by a female robin parent who was defending her young that we had taken out of the nest. At first we weren't sure what the robin had flung at her, but I assured her it was better than the time one dive bombed me and pecked me in the back of my head while I was balancing unsteadily between a ladder and branch. At any rate, once we realized it was a worm I suggested we feed it to one of the nestlings, who were obligingly gaping. She thought that was a grand idea so I stuffed it into the open mouth of the nestling in my hand, who instantly swallowed it whole. Worms, yum. I told Eagle Eyes that I remember robin young as being very good eaters from my days doing wildlife rehabilitation-- never needing to be force fed, never overeating to the point of dying. Easy to feed is important when you have a roomful of incubators and cages filled with young birds. Now that she's seen it demonstrated, Eagle Eyes is eager to pick up a tub of worms and try feeding them herself. It's a satisfying kind of feeling).

No comments: