Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summertime Is Here

The weather is finally warm, even in the morning. This morning was the first time I was too warm to wear a sweatshirt while sledge hammering. I'm much happier now that it is no longer freezing cold.

Driving around the city, watching the kids play outside and adults sitting on their front porches makes think of the song Summertime by Will Smith. Here's my favorite part of the lyrics:

the temperature's about 88
hop in the water plug just for old times sake
break to ya crib change your clothes once more
'cause you're invited to a barbeque that's starting at 4
sitting with your friends cause y'all reminisce
about the days growing up and the first person you kiss
and as I think back makes me wonder how
the smell from a grill could spark up nostalgia
all the kids playing out front
little boys messin' round with the girls playing double-dutch

For me that song always captures the feel of summer in the South. I think Will Smith gets it right. "It's like summer's a natural aphrodisiac," and "There's an air of love and happiness." It certainly felt like that in high school, and the song always transports me back to those days in North Carolina.

No comments: