Friday, November 28, 2008

Thrift Store Heaven: I'm A Used Bargain Hunter

There is a thrift store around the corner from Dr Cool's place that I stopped in one day after a run and found to be a treasure trove of bargains. It is the nicest thrift store that I have ever been in with the nicest staff.

Today and tomorrow they are having a 50% off sale which I have long anticipated. I got lots of kids' clothes for the many kids in my life thanks to my friends and family suddenly all deciding to reproduce at once. It's nice. I enjoy buying kids' clothes immensely but have none of the other responsibilities associated with child rearing.

When I walked into the store at ten minutes to opening this morning (hey, the door was wide open and the sign said open so what if I was a few minutes early?) there was this beautiful suit on the to-be-re-hung-after-trying-on rack. 6 petite. My size exactly. Jones New York (brand name). Black with pink stripes. Brand spanking new. Tags still on. $300 at Macy's. $50 at the thrift store, but wait, with the half price sale make that $25. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. This might be the best deal yet that I have gotten at a thrift store. Heaven.

My mom is a born bargain hunter. The day after Thanksgiving shopping was as sacred growing up as a religious holiday. We began early and went all day. While my mom always shops on sale, and does a darn good job of it, I am a whole new generation of bargain hunter. I am a used bargain hunter. I restrict my shopping solely to thrift stores. And thrift store sales are the pinnacle of bargain hunting achievement for me.

In fact, now that this day's shopping is over, the next big event on my horizon is the half price sale coming up in mid-December at my favorite thrift store in Menlo Park. Luckily, that's not too far off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. A triple wamby-good clothes at a great price, reusing and going to a good cause.
That makes me want to go to the Salvation Army store in Gilroy to see what treasures I might find

aunt k said...

It must be in the genes!! Good job!!