Sunday, November 2, 2008

Perspective: Waking Up To Bushtits Calling, Sunshine And I Can't Help But Smile



As anyone who knows me well or reads this blog regularly knows, these tiny birds are some of my favorites. I love their tinkly, melodious call and sock-shaped, unusual nests (that for some reason jump out at me everywhere I go but not to anyone else I know-- some kind of strange pattern recognition I possess and attunement to the natural world, as one of my more pereceptive dates-- we'll simply call her TheLawyer-- said, "That's an interesting brain you've got in there"-- she was one of the few who actually noticed what I was paying attention to while we were out walking around, and saw that my focus was on the animals around me and not the people even though we were in a crowd).

So I woke up this morning to a flock of them outside my window. I knew they were there before I raised the blinds by their lovely calls. It made me smile in my half-sleep and my heart warm as I slowly woke up, in no rush to leap out of bed for once. (And when I did get up, I immediately reached for my camera to document the happy moment for you, my readers).

I have to remind myself as I stress over my upcoming exams tomorrow and the next day and worry about the outcome of this election and its possible ramifications that these things will not cease to exist no matter what happens in the next few days. There will be bushtits calling, sunshine, and gigantic carrots and yams from the farmer's market to look forward to, thank goodness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those bushtits

eb said...

You are becoming wise in your (slightly) old age. I don't think the Hermit Thrush of our college years would have had this balanced perspective in the midst of something you are stressed and passionate about.