Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Food, Food, Food: More Farmers' Market Goodies and Veggie Stew Take 2






Top to bottom:
  1. third pot of veggie stew with beans (kidney, black and pinto, the only stuff in it from a can)
  2. no, not a salad but stuff for the third pot of veggie stew (I use everything-- the stalks from the Swiss chard, etc, plus all the red stuff is hot peppers, I like it spicy!)
  3. the potatoes and carrots have to cook extra long, second pot veggie stew
  4. all three pots of veggie stew combined in a gigantic bowl (the first pot was cauliflower and onion)
  5. last week the artichoke farmer offered me a 12 pound butternut squash for $5-- mmmm! and the week before that I treated myself to a trip to the Mountain View farmers' market, where I got a rare yellow cauliflower (apparently worth its weight in gold as it cost $4 for 2 pounds!). I already ate the cauliflower (cooked in the oven till tender) but I am planning not to bake all the butternut squash but instead try my hand at butternut squash soup, which I hear is quite forgiving and so doesn't sound too difficult

3 comments:

eb said...

Very nice. Speaking of things that are forgiving and not too difficult, I've starting cooking my beans myself. I thought it would be a pain, but it's not. So far I've only done chickpeas, but I've done them several times with no problem. I just let them soak overnight, then cook them on low for two hours. They actually taste better than the canned ones. So, if you're feeling just slightly more ambitious, your veggie stew can be totally can-free!

Btw, I think you would love cooking with my brother. He is pro-veggie, pro-experimentation, and anti-measurement (even for baking). I keep thinking he will have a disaster but so far everything has been great.

Hermit Thrush said...

Hey, if your brother weren't so useful for baby watching I'd have you send him my way. I think he and I would have a blast together in many ways. As it is, I am counting on him to build me my dream one room cob house deep in the woods one day.
Has he watched Off The Map yet?
I'm so curious to see what he thinks.

Kerry said...

I think that the next time you visit, there will be a massive dinner concoction. Your food always looks so delicious.