Saturday, November 1, 2008

This Morning I Woke Up Thinking About...

PAH (p-aminohippurate) and inulin. How PAH is completely cleared from the plasma and thus a good indicator of renal plasma flow (RPF). PAH is a meausre of whether you have good blood flow to the kidney since the renal clearance equals the arterial renal plasma flow.
And inulin is a measure of whether the filter is working since it is unprocessed, i.e. the amount filtered= the amount excreted. So inulin can be used to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) since the amount of inulin that appears in the urine per unit time is the same as the amount of inulin that the glomerulus filters per unit time.

And I opened my eyes to Lindy, who while I lay there with my eyes shut had been head-butting and nuzzling my face, insistent on getting some attention. Lindy with her failing kidneys. I wonder what would happen if I injected her with PAH-- hopefully she has good blood flow to her kidneys. And inulin? The filter is working, but it has too many holes, not enough reabsorption and secretion. Would inulin demonstrate that in her? I don't know.

It was grey and raining, I rolled out of bed, slipped on my sandals and went for an hour and a half swim. The incredible hulk had to choose to get in my lane, and soon I was the only female in a lane of really fast male swimmers. I held my own, but I was eating water the whole time. Why do they seem to choose to get in with me? I can't pace off of someone who is twice as fast as me. A normal guy, maybe, but not these athletes. I wish they'd pick someone else to get in with for a change...

No comments: