Friday, October 17, 2008

A Weekend Spent On The Peninsula

Friday night I went to Coconuts Caribbean Restaurant in Palo Alto to see Lemo play. He's the musician that I met at the Princeton Plaza farmer's market (www.lemolive.com). It was a small, but good show, and I enjoyed hearing the accents from Trinidad. Afterwards, I went out to a few bars in downtown Palo Alto, rode a fake bull and did some dancing.

Saturday morning run with Baylands Frontrunners (http://www.baylands.org/index.php).
Running along the marsh was beautiful, it was hard not to stop to look at all the shorebirds.

Sunday afternoon in Los Altos Hills:

Congregation Beth Am and the Progressive Jewish Alliance present:
"Marriage Equality Is a Jewish Issue"
Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

With NCLR Board Members

Join NCLR Board Members Emily Doskow, Minna Tao, and Stacey Camillo at the Congregation Beth Am for an event entitled "Marriage Equality Is a Jewish Issue." They will be discussing Prop 8—the marriage ban, and what you can do to help defeat it in November. Hope to see you there!

I also got to see Deb Kinney and Ira Ruskin speak, as well as a rabbi from the area and members of the Progressive Jewish Alliance.

They did their job because they not only got me to donate money to the campaign, I also signed up to do phone banking this Wednesday. I don't want to see all the hard work that led to the victory in the court room undone. It appalls me to think that the California state constitution could be amended to take away the rights of any group.

Sunday night I made my first attempt at a veggie stew, inspired by seeing Sunshine's version of it when I eat lunch with her at school. I love the aesthetic appeal of the vegetables from the farmer's market all cut up and spread out (yes, those are purple potatoes):


Then, yesterday morning, bright and early, back to the grind of school, starting off the week with a genetics exam. At least that is behind me. Now I get a bit of a break until my next set of midterms in two weeks. I still have plenty to do, and am trying to use every minute efficiently because I have another busy weekend coming up and I can't fill up my weekends with fun activities unless I get most of my work done during the week.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I'm glad you were able to get away for a bit. How were the purple potatoes?

Elaine and I decided that you should live here.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope we get a no vote on this owe. Though I must say I am a little worried about this one going the right away.

Kerry said...

You have hardcore prayers from the east coast on that one!!