Monday, October 27, 2008

An OK Weekend Spent On The Peninsula Again

Once again, the best part of my weekend was my Friday night shift at work. Crazy, huh? At least I've found work that I love. I was sad to find out our only hospitalized patient was euthanized Sunday afternoon. I did get pretty involved in that case and had hoped for a better outcome.

Saturday I went back to the Peninsula to volunteer at the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society Wildlife Awareness Day. I helped staff the Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley booth in order to educate the public about their mission to help injured wildlife. A lot of people don't even know such a place exists, so they end up trying to care for hurt wildlife on their own, which isn't good for the wildlife or for people who don't know how to handle wildlife and end up getting hurt. It was heartening to see people chose the copy of the center's magazine, Tracks, from the fall of 2006, in which I wrote most of the articles. Made me feel good about my writing and efforts.

Sunday I went for a nice run in Quicksilver, the farmer's market, and to lunch with L and her family to discuss the ballot. It was nice to share a meal with her family, I have been getting tired of eating all my meals by myself. Gets kind of depressing.

Sunday night I made a giant pot of vegetable stew, I kind of mis-estimated so it wouldn't all fit in one pot and I had to make a second pot and then combine the two later. At Sunshine's suggestion I added A LOT of curry, so much so that the whole house smelled of curry for the rest of the night. Dr Cool didn't seem to mind too much, he says it smelled good.

Not a bad weekend, but I am was exhausted by Sunday night. Perhaps because I went to bed after 2 am on Friday night and got up at 7 am on Saturday morning. Those swing shifts do throw off my schedule a little but are worth it.

No comments: