Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sleep Deprived HT= Punchy HT: It's All Funny When I'm Overtired

So there are several possible outcomes to me being overtired, as I have been all week.
1. I can become hypomanic and talk super fast (my friend Sunshine has the best description of this)
2. I can become overly emotional and cry at the slightest provocation or thought of something sad
3. I can become punchy and find everything completely hilarious

Today it has been a combination of #1 and #3. A bit embarrassing to say the least.

In my physiology class, we were discussing how the membrane potential of myocardial cells and nodal cells changes during an action potential. It turns out (and it makes intuitive sense if you stop to think that your heart never stops pumping) that the nodal cells (sinoatrial node ie pacemaker) have no resting Vm (membrane potential). This is due to something called the funny current (If) which is a constant background Na (sodium) current that is always inward.

When my professor said that it was called the funny current, I burst out laughing. No one else in the entire 70 person class laughed, and most of them turned to look at me. Then there was dead silence for a few seconds. The professor paused and said, "Well someone named it the funny current because they thought it was funny too." As if that person was as much of a weirdo as me. I definitely felt awkward.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I am feeling your insanity. Except I go with all three of your overtired outcomes (though #2 comes less and less). Punchy is how I describe it too.

ALSO... I would have laughed at funny current. C'mon!! It's funny.

aunt k said...

thanks for the belly laugh this morning, I needed it! I too get punchy when I am overtired...

Anonymous said...

Get some sleep girl!