Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Kiss My Black And White Patootie By Kathryn DeMarco


All summer while I was in DC, my favorite Kathryn DeMarco painting was hanging in Dr. Cool's living room (above). As a side note, you can probably tell from the photo that biking comes before TV watching in this household. Well, that's to be expected when you live with a triathlete and since I don't even own a TV that is fine by me. Here's a better shot of the collage below:


I love the look of intensity on the person's face, it almost borders on defiance. (The model was a guy, but I'm so good at imagining androgyny that in my mind it was always a woman). What first attracted me to the work as an animal lover was the two boys holding dogs, their images just struck a chord in my heart. I've blown them up so you can see below:



I also liked all the naked women at the top right hand corner of the collage. This was a sore point with my ex-husband, who being a bit of a prude objected to the nudity and in fact insisted in covering that portion of the collage with a long tendril of ivy that was hanging in the room. I found this humorous, though irritating, and informed Kathryn of it. Years later she told me that this story inspired her to try to work naked women into more pieces! So in the end it accomplished some good...

If you look closely, there are also cameras (yay photography), houses making up the shirt's seam, and a strange marble piece in the left hand corner that I like.




In fact every time I sit down and really look at the piece I see something new. The other day I was sitting on the couch relaxing when I realized there is a a half silhouette of a black naked woman in the bottom right hand corner that I'd never seen before! And less clear, but perhaps even another naked black figure just to the right of that. That's one reason I treasure this piece so much-- I never get tired of looking at it and seeing something new!

1 comment:

Erin Brown said...

How cool is this! I will have to check this artist out. Very awesome piece--thanks for posting it.