Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Proposition 8: Gay Marriage In California


I've tried hard to keep politics out of my blog. But I can no longer restrain myself. The following story is just too good.

The other day I was sitting studying in the kitchen when I heard a knock on the front door. I looked through the window and saw an Indian woman standing there. When I opened the door a rather interesting conversation ensued:

Me: "Good morning. How can I help you?"
Woman: "Hi. I'm one of your neighbors."
Pause...
(I'm thinking-- what could we possibly have done to disturb our neighbors? We don't play loud music...)
Woman (resuming): "Do you vote?"
Me: "Yes, always."
Woman: "I'd like to discuss Proposition 8 with you."
Me: "Proposition 8?" (Sorry folks, I don't know the issues by their proposition number)
Woman: "I'm for traditional marriage so I'm hoping you'll vote yes on it."
Me (flatly, without hesitation): "I'm a lesbian so I'm not very likely to vote in favor of having my rights taken away."

The woman turned and walked away. She didn't even have the guts to say, "I don't believe you should have rights because you are a sexual deviant." She just turned heel and left.

I stood there for a few seconds stunned, wondering why she felt compelled to go out and campaign in favor of repealing gay marriage. I don't think I'll ever understand.

Personally, marriage is the farthest thing from my mind these days. But I do feel strongly that it is discriminatory to grant rights to heterosexual couples and not homosexual ones. It is much more an ethical issue for me than a personal one. Still, should I someday want to get married again, I would like that right to be available.

To end this diatribe, I will post some beautiful photos of my friend K's wedding. She is dashingly good looking (and beaming too in this photo) and her wife is absolutely gorgeous. They got married last summer, and then again this summer, except this time it was legal. I'm so happy for them, and proud that my state recognizes their legal union.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadly I think it will be a very long time before guy marriage is excepted by all-but if it passes in November that will not really matter