Monday, September 8, 2008

New Music From South Africa

I wrote earlier of my newfound interest in South Africa given the time my family spent there during and after WWII. Today I received in the mail two CDs I have been long anticipating. I am currently listening to "Just" off Henry Ate's "96-03 The Singles." Wow, her voice tugs on my heart, and the lyrics...

lately i've been thinking what if i was wrong
and the world never meant you and i to belong
we'd have wasted so much time building castles in the sky
only to watch them all fall down
would it be all of our dreams so well suited to you and i
could only be half acquired would it still be worthwhile?

if i could just understand this
i might then try forgiveness
know that i will, each time i feel
you'll be by, you'll be by, you'll be by my side
in the end we'll still be friends
ain't it shocking how your sympathetic world amends
and in time you'll realize
i'm not what i seem inside
i go wild, i go wild, i go wild

Also got The Dalom Kids And Splash collection featuring a song I have been addicted to since college ("Cellular") thanks to a mix tape made for me by the lovely Molecule. (Yes, I am an old fart, I went to school back when we made mix tapes instead of burning CDs). FYI, I was introduced to Henry Ate by the same rad woman who took me out in Jacksonville, FL and treated me to dinner and then a night at a gay nightclub. Not only lots of fun and a great dancer, she also has rockin' taste in music. Thanks, chica!

I can't wait to listen to these all the way through...

3 comments:

aunt k said...

cool-one of the docs at work has a great cd from south africa he got while he was there on a conference-really awesome-if you're interested, i can find out the specifics...

Hermit Thrush said...

Definitely, I'd love a copy!

eb said...

You may be an old fart, but I am not! I remember burning CDs in college :)