Sunday, September 14, 2008

T Agrees: It's All About How You Choose To Spend Your Time...

You have to choose because you can't do everything. Or so says my friend T, qualifying her statement by adding, "At least I can't do everything."

And I can't either.

But I am working harder than ever before in my life to achieve some balance. Even though I have mountains of schoolwork, I went hiking with T in the Quicksilver hills behind my place this morning. It was a perfect fall morning. We were both surprised by how few people were on the trails on such a sublime day. I'm actually continually surprised by how few people make it out to these trails. It is a mystery to both T and I why anyone would prefer to walk on the streets or be inside, say at the mall. All I can do is recall that people are different, a fundamental truism that is somehow easy to overlook.

I'm behind on my work a little, but it would be sad not to experience this fall outdoors, especially as it may well be my last in San Jose for years to come or forever.

More and more, I realize that when I choose work over spending time with my friends and outdoors I keep myself from growing as a person. Work will always be waiting for me, and that is where I am headed now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like spending time out in nature

Anonymous said...

Haha, so true. You can only go in so many directions at once.